Thursday, September 13, 2018

1.5, due on September 14


This proved to be a fun chapter, although I still don't really know how LU decomposition works, and Algorithm 1.5.1 is quite intimidating, so I've had a hard time figuring out how that works also. The fact that the matrix can't have zeros in any diagonals also makes me a little uneasy, as it seems to limit the scope of the algorithm. I suppose, however, that a matrix can (and probably ought to) be row reduced before feeding it to the algorithm, avoiding this problem anyway.

I particularly enjoyed reading about Loop Interchange, and it made me more conscientious of  how I write loops into my own code. Thinking about loops in terms of summations and independent variables will no doubt make it easier to tell when a loop interchange is possible.

What do the asterisks at some section headings mean?

No comments:

Post a Comment