This section was much anticipated, because it provides the proof of the Master Theorem, which until now would be more aptly described as the "Magic Theorem," because I had no idea whatsoever how it worked.
As much as I looked forward to learning how the Master Theorem worked, I knew I would be intimidated by the proof. Even after reading over the proof a couple of times I still struggle to follow it. I may understand some of it conceptually, but I still find it very fuzzy and can't comfortably say I understand the theorem; it's still the Magic Theorem to me.
- How long have you spent on the homework assignments? Did lecture and the reading prepare you for them?
- Each set of assignments (for both 320 and 344) easily take me into the wee hours of the night. By my reckoning I've spent as many as 11 hours on it. Some Saturdays I spend all day working on them; some weekdays I stay up until 1:00 or 2:00 in the morning or wake up at 4:00 to finish.
- What has contributed most to your learning in this class thus far?
- Study groups have been most beneficial. Many in the cohort have varying experience in different aspects of mathematics and computer science. As such, it makes it easier for us to help one another. Instead of pounding my head against the same problem for three hours, a classmate can walk me through it in a matter of minutes.
- What do you think would help you learn more effectively or make the class better for you? (This can be feedback for me, or goals for yourself.)
- I find lecture most useful when the professor covers specifics that will benefit us in the homework (I would say Professor Grant is particularly adept at throwing us a bone in regards to the assignments by giving us hints and guiding our reasoning for some of the problems. In my experience, hints like that condition my mind on how to approach a particular math problem, and I don't waste countless hours trying something that isn't even applicable.
No comments:
Post a Comment